|Home What's new in Zoom Player Beta
"*" = New
"+" = Change
"-" = Fix
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.6 beta 1:
+ The Media Library category editor has been restructured to make it
easier to use when working with many categories.
- Deleting the currently playing file did not remove the file from the
- Under some condition, the previously played media title would appear
in the timeline area and invalid entries were being added to the
- Erasing entries from the favorite media list did not actually save the
list your drive. Unless a new entry was added (which did save the list),
restarting Zoom Player would restore the erased entries.
- Removing entries from the playlist editor did not always select the
current remaining track.
- The chapter selection pop-up OSD appeared in the wrong screen position.
- In the playlist editor, clicking the blank area under the playlist
entries would select the last entry without clearing the currently
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.5 beta 6:
* Extended video streaming support for the following web sites:
eBaum's World (ebaumsworld.com)
Team Four Star (teamfourstar.com)
Daily HaHa (dailyhaha.com)
Some sites (e.g. facebook) may require you to enable the extended analysis
mode for the 3DYD filter through the Zoom Player Install Center.
* Automatic fullscreen navigation skin switching based on the display's
For example, by specifying a 16:10 and selected a Zoom Player navigation
skin designed for 16:10 displays.
Skin switching is currently only triggered when opening a navigation
* New "Refresh" option (Media Library Category Editor / Configure Category)
for YouTube channels and RSS Streams that refreshes the channel's Name &
+ Entering a media library TV JukeBox folder that contains no media files
will no longer switch to thumbnail view for the empty folder, instead
remaining in file list mode.
- When viewing the media library's TV/Movie in JukeBox mode, the backdrop
images was not scaled and cropped properly on non-16:9 displays
(e.g. 1920x1200 monitor) leaving black bars instead of filling with
- Zoom Player will no longer try running MediaInfo.dll when playing a URL,
removing the 'unknown error' message from the play information dialogs.
- Using the "^" character in a file name to cause the media library
scraper to ignore any text after this character did not work in
- The "Mute audio during forward and backward seeks" setting was muting
audio when attempting to seek forward/backward in a live stream even
in cases seeking was not possible.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.5 beta 5:
* New "Thumb rendering threads" setting (Adv. Options / Interface /
Fullscreen Navigation / Thumb View) to specify the number of CPU threads
used to render the thumbview display.
Previously, this setting was hard-coded to use 2 threads, but now you
can specify any value from "Auto" to "16".
Auto mode uses either 2 or 3 threads depending on your PC, but
performance can be improved further with additional threads on systems
containing many cores or high bandwidth RAM.
* New "Support folders as playlist entries" Setting (Adv. Options /
Interface / Playlist). This setting was previously hardcoded and
is still enabled by default to support advanced playlist functionality.
However, supporting folders as playlist entries triggers a spun-down HDD
drive to spin back up when a playlist is loaded. With this new setting
disabled, you can now prevent drives from accidentally spinning up.
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Playback / Controls) to mute the audio when
enabling Slow Motion or Fast Play.
* New "fnToggleOverlayCover" function to toggle the "Video covers entire
display area" setting on and off.
+ Optimized the Media Library's thumbnail drawing code, increasing update
speed and smoothness.
+ The Maximum number of scraping threads used by the media library has
increased from 8 to 16.
+ When a media library scraped movie did not contain a backdrop image,
the default background image is now used instead of a black screen.
+ Updated the PNG and zLib libraries to newer versions.
- Starting Zoom Player with the "Do not check if a file exists when adding
to the playlist" setting enabled no longer triggers spun-down HDD drives
- The GuardDog feature would try to restart Zoom Player if Zoom Player's
load time was taking too long (due to HDD drive spin-ups or a network
- The Media Library's Jukebox mode would not enable if the only file in
the folder was a playlist.
- Fixed a case where a media library scraped movie not containing a
backdrop image showed a backdrop from another movie.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.5 beta 4:
- When the "Force the navigation list or thumb view display to full width"
setting was enabled in combination with the "Use dynamically visible
scroll bar" setting, the thumbnail would not highlight correctly.
- TheAudioDB.com media library scraper can now better handle artist names
containing the "-" character, for example "Alt-J - This Is All Yours"
will now properly scrape.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.5 beta 3:
* TheMovieDB.org media library scraping plugin has been enhanced and can
now return non-english meta-data (texts and images).
+ The Install Center now includes two configuration profiles for the
3DYD YouTube Source filter that enable HD/4K streaming.
+ Visualization are now enabled when the 3DYD YouTube Source filter is set
to "audio only" output.
- TheAudioDB.com scraper plugin is now functional after the API used by
the site moved to encrypted communication (https), breaking backward
- If a media title contained a 'line feed' or 'return' characters, it would
corrupt the play history.
- Fixed a possible TheMovieDB.org scraper freeze (could have caused
slow-downs on exit or more rarely, a player freeze) when used in
combination with the "Scrape using media derived title (instead
of file name)" category setting.
- When the "Scrape using media derived title (instead of file name)" category
setting was enabled, under some conditions, the media's thumbnail would not
display after closing and reopening the media library.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.5 beta 2:
* The playlist editor (when using the default Onyx skin or the bundled
Alba skin) now draws alternating line highlights making the playlist
easier to track visually.
* The playlist editor's right-click menu now features Colorize actions
that let you easily color-code track(s) text and background colors.
The color information is automatically saved and restored when using
Zoom Player's default ZPL format playlists.
* New "PlayListData/Background2" skin script parameter that specifies
the alternating playlist editor line highlight color.
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Playback) that automatically tries to use
the YouTube IFRAME player if DirectShow playback of a YouTube stream
* The advanced playlist control (accessible through the playlist editor
or by pressing "J") now show the number of items remaining in the
playlist as the search filters down the list.
+ The advanced playlist control's filter search was searching the
entire playlist on each letter pressed, this caused a sluggish
user experience when dealing with very larger playlists (over
To enhance the user experience, the search action is now only
performed 350-400ms after the last key-stroke, ensuring that
the user interface does not stall while typing.
- Using the "Stop" function while a media was loading combined with
a non-default setting that closes the playing media when using the
"Stop" function and when display a JPEG/PNG image could cause the
image to remain on screen.
- Double-clicking an entry on the skin selection dialog could sometimes
trigger an access violation error.
- When opening the playlist editor, under some conditions the bottom
entries would not show up until the playlist screen was refreshed
by a click or scroll.
- The "&" character wasn't showing up in the playlist editor.
- Pressing under the last item in the playlist editor did not
visually select the last item in the list. Then if you pressed
the "Enter" key, it would start playing the last item in the
playlist which was a bit confusing without the visual cue of
a selected entry.
- Fixed a crash when trying to play a video file with too many
external audio tracks. External audio tracks are now limited
to a maxiumum of 10 tracks.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.5 beta 1:
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Playback / Controls):
"Next / Previous Track" plays the next/prev media in the same folder if
playlist contains 1 file.
This function behind this setting was previously always enabled.
This setting remains enabled by default, but from now you can disable
this behavior from the advanced options dialog.
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Fullscreen Navigation) to force the
navigation list or thumb view to maximum width.
Unlike the "full width" setting, this setting will make the navigation
list area take the display device's maximum resolution, which can cause
some cosmetic issues (like the thumbnail highlight getting cropped).
+ Zoom Player now does a better job at extracting album art images from
media files if the JPEG image contains junk in front of the actual image.
+ The Command & Control API now notifies when subtitles are enabled/
disabled when using the "fnToggleSub" and "fnDisableDVDsub" functions.
- Kinetic scrolling in the media library did not work well using a mouse
cursor, stopping when attempting to scroll multiple times while the
kinetic movement was still in mid process.
- Playing media that contained certain special characters in the media's
title caused multiple unplayable entries to appear in the play history.
- With the "Adv. Options / Interface / Position & Size - Auto-Size User
Interface to maintain Video Aspect Ratio (when resizing)" setting enabled,
playing audio files with folder/album art could cause Zoom Player's main
window to display partially off-screen.
- The latest version of mediainfo DLL changed how it extracts cover art
for audio files, breaking Zoom Player support for displaying the album
art with some audio formats (mainly M4A).
- Better album art image extraction from audio files with ID3v2 TAGs when
the image header included some junk data.
- When opening a media file by double-clicking from explorer (or other
file managers), the currently playing track wouldn't highlight correctly
and show the playing position in the playlist editor.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.4 beta 2:
* New "Run Application" media library plugin that lets you run applications
and scripts directly from a media library category thumbnail.
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Interface), Station manager should stay on
top of other application when switching to fullscreen mode.
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Playback), Load .URL files as streaming media
(otherwise load as web page).
+ Media library meta-data scraping had issues with long file paths and
URLs (over 200 characaters, depending on Zoom Player's installation
path) due to an early design decision to make the cached entries easy
to identify using their file names and URL addresses.
However, to this day, windows does not support paths longer than 255
characters correctly. As a work-around, if a long file name or url is
processed, the cache mechanism now uses a short hash instead
of the full file name or url.
+ Enhanced support for RSS feed thumbnails. More thumbnails should show
up when adding RSS feeds as media library categories (including more
category thumbnail for feeds that support them).
+ If an RSS Feed has multiple entries with the same publish date, the
entries will now be second-level sorted by URL.
+ When download playlists Zoom Player now uses the windows temp folder
instead of the 'my documents'.
- A race condition caused the scrape manager thread to not signal it is
terminating correctly, causing Zoom Player to freeze on exit.
- RSS feeds containing a special unicode line-break character in the
description would trigger a freeze when opening the RSS media library
category a second time.
- The "Continue to the next Playlist item when an invalid file is played"
setting would skip tracks if the unplayable media was the last playlist
- Opening a playlist from the file-open dialog would not always preserve
the active playlist entry as specified in the playlist file.
- Some unicode characters did not show up correctly in the playlist editor
and music OSD if the selected font did not support the characters.
Now a different windows text-rendering function is used, one that takes
unsupported character from a system-default font.
- When including an executable entry in the playlist, playback did not
progress to the next track correctly and would cause the wrong title
to appear in the playlist editor.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.4 beta 1:
+ Two Sonique visualization resolution settings have changed from an
aspect ratio of 4:3 to 16:9 :
320x240 -> 320x180
640x480 -> 640x360
This change may not be reflected in the drop-down list if you are
not using an updated language pack, but this is just cosmetic, the
new resolutions are set according to the numbers above.
+ Enhanced the SHOUTcast station sorting.
+ The number of RSS entries cached by the media library plugin has been
raised from 2000 to 5000.
- Enabling the "Share Play History at a custom path" setting and not
specifying a trailing "\" in the folder name would cause the play
history to be saved incorrectly.
- The media library playlist plugin now supports playlist URLs longer than
255 characters long.
- Playing an audio file with visualization could cause the right click menu
to show multiple "close navigator" entries when right-clicking on a
fullscreen navigation interface.
- The SHOUTcast station browser would show duplicate entries after opening
the dialog multiple times on different days.
- Opening a streaming URL from clipboard (Alt+Ctrl+"U") failed to work if
the URL was a playlist.
- Pressing the "Play (add to playlist)" button while a navigation interface
was visible and the "Stop closes the navigation interfaces" setting was
enabled prevented playback of the station from starting.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.2 beta 4:
+ You can now set the "Retain Media Playback History for" value to
99999 days (~2738 years), up from the original 9999 days (~27 years),
just in case one of you finds immortality and wished to use
Zoom Player forever.
- Opening a playlist from navigation interfaces loaded the playlist
but did not automatically start playing it.
- The fullscreen navigation's text Anti-Aliasing setting was being
reset after restarting the player.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.2 beta 3:
* With LAV Filters v0.71, a D3D11 hardware decoding mode has been added.
You can instruct LAV to use this mode automatically by setting the option
under "Adv. Options / Playback / Video".
+ The "Play History database may be corrupted" message will no longer
appear unless the play history file is actually corrupted.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the previously active audio track from being
restored when re-playing a video with multiple audio tracks.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.2 beta 2:
* New "Favorites" fullscreen navigation interface.
Any media can be added to the favorites list through the media library or
file browsing navigational interfaces.
Please note that this change required resetting the "Navigation
interfaces on main navigator" feature to it's default value
(Adv. Options / Interface / Fullscreen Navigation).
* When using the "Open URL" function, a new "Clear playlist" checkbox is now
available (previously the playlist was always cleared).
+ The torrents plugin should now shutdown a little faster if Zoom Player
closes while the plugin was fetching an updated file list.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.1 release candidate 3:
- Opening the media library, especially on 4K displays showed a low
resolution image of the media library for a split second before
displaying the full resolution version.
The double-draw event caused both the described visual glitch as well as
a performance penality.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.1 release candidate 2:
* New setting (Adv. Options / Playback / Audio / Visualizations) to enable
Zoom Player's DSP filter only for visualizations.
* New setting (Adv. Options / Playback / Audio / Visualizations) to set an
initial audio re-synchronization value for visualizations (Zoom Player's
DSP filter is required for this setting to function).
+ Media Library plugin result entries now display the media's title instead
of the file name or URL in list mode (previously the title only showed
in thumbnail mode).
- Fixed a bug introduced in a previous beta that caused a mess when trying
to move items in the playlist.
- Scrolling down in the download tracking fullscreen navigation interface
then exiting and re-opening the interface caused an empty list to show
instead of the previous list.
- The media library's playlist plugin no longer shows an invalid duration
value if the playlist entry has no duration.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.1 release candidate 1:
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Interface / Fullscreen Navigation /
File Tracker) to specify the download tracking plugins refresh rate.
This value only affects the media library and file browsing navigation
interfaces, the download tracking navigation interface refreshes at
a higher rate automatically.
Please note that using a low number (under 10 seconds) may impact
performance when tracking large file lists (over 10,000 entries).
+ Windows 10 creators edition changed how fonts are rendered by enabling
clear-type rendering at higher resolutions. Clear-type is a lot slower
to draw and at resolutions above 1080p causes severe performance
degradation in Zoom Player's fullscreen navigation interfaces.
Previously, to solve this issue, you could set Zoom Player to override
windows' font rendering. From this version, the setting is enabled by
default (you can still change it manually under "Adv. Options / System").
+ Further optimized the download plugin code to the point where a data
refresh on the download navigation interface should no longer cause
any UI lag whatsoever.
- Fixed a crash when playing a live video stream using MadVR as the video
renderer and trying to use the pause button on the control bar.
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.1 beta 3:
* Automatic support for native Windows 7-10 media library folder structure
(previously only the more basic Windows XP-Vista library structure
+ Zoom Player's default window size for the onyx skin was changed to
present a default video size of 960x540 (up from the previous 604x340) and
for the alba skin, the default video size was changed to 1280x720.
+ You can now press any navigation key to cancel a 'play all files in folder'
- Fixed a possible crash that would trigger sometimes on an initial run
after a fresh install.
- A function optimized in beta 2 had a bug which caused the visualization
plugin list to reset (no plugins listed).
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.1 beta 2:
* New setting (Adv. Options / File Format Association / File Extensions" to
instruct Zoom Player to process ".m3u8" playlists.
This setting is disabled by default as it can cause conflicts with services
that require DirectShow filters to process this type of playlist format.
* New setting on the Torrents download & tracking plugin to prevent it
from passing file entries to Zoom Player that do not actually exist on
the disk drive. This setting is off by default but can increase
performance when dealing with a large number of torrents that were
only partially downloaded.
* The last play position is now drawn over the thumbnail in TV Jukebox mode.
+ The download plugins synchronization has been completely rewritten, and
should no longer cause any user interface slow-downs.
+ The torrents plugin has been greatly optimized, working much faster with
large file lists.
+ The download fullscreen navigation interface should scroll much smoothly
when dealing with a large number of files.
+ The YouTube (Channel/Search/Trending), Playlist and RSS Feed media library
plugins have been optimized for greater performance.
+ Optimized core string handling routines, improving script parsing
(e.g. Skin parsing) and other areas.
+ A 'processing, please hold ...' message now appear when it takes
Zoom Player longer to close due to background tasks (media scraping,
download plugin sync) still being active.
- The currently selected playlist editor entries would lose their selection
if a playlist update was triggered after the listed media's duration has
- Trying to play a streaming media URL that contained trailing spaces would
fail. Trailing spaces are now trimmed (you can still use encoded space
characters in the URL).
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14.1 beta 1:
+ You can now press the escape key to cancel a 'play all files in folder'
feature mid-action. Accidentally playing an entire drive could have
caused Zoom Player to appear unresponsive.
+ Switching between fullscreen and windowed mode while the media library is
opened should be cleaner and faster (less visual junk in the transition).
- Fixed a scraping bug where the ".nfo" file detection algorithm would fail
with files/folders names containing unicode characters.
- Opening the file browsing and download manager fullscreen navigation
interfaces will no longer freeze for two seconds if the Torrents download
plugin is enabled and qBittorrent isn't running.
- Opening the file browsing and download manager fullscreen navigation
interfaces will no longer freeze for long periods if qBittorrent
is seeding many torrents.
- The media library should no longer freeze for a few seconds when
retrieving large file lists from qBittorrent using the Torrents plugin.
- The information dialog ("I" keyboard macro) did not show up when playing
in fullscreen on a secondary monitor.
- The torrents download plugin was not recognizing a file's download
priority correctly after the latest qBittorrent release.
- The torrents download plugin was listing files returned by qBittorrent
but no longer existing on the disk drive in the root folder instead of
their (no longer existing) path.
- The Lock-UI (user interface) feature used to prevent accidental clicks
did not block some click and double-click actions.
- The Dolby Digital Plus audio format was not being displayed with an icon
on the TV and Movie jukebox screens.
- The play position tool-tip was sometimes displayed in the wrong screen
position on multi-monitor displays.
- MIDI audio playback should be more reliable.
* The Complete Change list history can be found on-line at: